Splunk Search

Why does PREAMBLE_REGEX work on Windows Splunk but not Linux Splunk?

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Hello,

I am currently using the following REGEX for PREAMBLE_REGEX in props.conf which works on Splunk 6.4.x running on Windows:

(^|[\r\n])(Job\.Description[^\r\n]+|String[^\r\n]+)

This is used to tell Splunk to skip the second and third lines of log files which always start:

Job.Description,Job.NumJobWaitEvents...
String,Integer,Integer...

I've since migrated my app to a Splunk 6.4.x instance running on Linux, but it doesn't work anymore (the lines aren't ignored). What changes should I be looking out for to ensure that the regular expression works in Linux as well?

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

Tags (1)
0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try:

^(Job\.Description.+|String,.+)$

It should work the same way as your regex, but it's simpler. That might make a difference.

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Thanks for the input. The REGEX works but doesn't solve the problem. I've found what I was looking for here:

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/209824/how-to-get-splunk-to-ignore-the-second-line-of-a-l.html

Suggestion was to use a null-queue transform by modifying props.conf and transforms.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...