Reporting

Why are reports no longer working and how to segregate syslog data by IP address (firewall)?

rb51
Explorer

hi all,

we are currently monitoring few firewalls and picking up the data from syslog (514).

I used to have this search running beautifully:

sourcetype="cisco:asa" action="blocked"| stats count as Count by src_ip | rename src_ip as "Source IP" | rename dest_ip as "Destination IP" | sort -Count

However, now everything seems to be coming from sourcetype syslog

My questions are:

1) Why has this (sourcetype="cisco:asa" ) stopped working?
2) How do I segregate the data coming from Syslog by IP address (firewall) and filter the events I want (e.g.: 106023)

Any comments are appreciated

0 Karma

saurabhbanethia
Engager

sourcetype="cisco:asa" action=Accessed | stats count as Count by src_ip |dedup src_ip |rename src_ip as "Source IP" | rename dest_ip as "Destination IP" | sort -Count

Try this query

0 Karma

rb51
Explorer

the issue is that sourcetype="cisco:asa" was working fine until 19 Jan....Then my colleague run the following in the firewall:

User 'enable_15', running 'CLI' from IP <> executed 'logging host inside <> format emblem'

from then the sourcetype became "syslog"

0 Karma

simon_lavigne
Path Finder

Not sure about your first question but if you can't get your sourcetype working, could you use the host field to identify which firewall/ip is forwarding the events? And then filter out events as per http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.1/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...