Splunk Search

Why are Time Modifiers not working with SPL CLI?

tracieed_nord
Explorer

Doing a search on CLI with time range modifiers does not seem to work.

I have tried earliest_time/latest_time and index_earliest/index_latest.

I have tired formatting mm/dd/yyy and yyyy-mm-dd.

Format of command is: /opt/splunk/bin/splunk search 'search details' earliest_time=yyyy-mm-dd latest_time=yyyy-mm-dd.

The search works as expected w/out the time range modifiers - and of course works via web. When I try this earliest_time=2018-05-01 latest_time=2018-06-01 max_out=0 I get results from 09/13??

I am running this on the search head in a distributed environment.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

you need to convert time using strftime and then compare with earliest and latest instead of earliest_time and latest_time
eval time = strftime(, "%Y-%m-%d")

0 Karma

tracieed_nord
Explorer

As far as I know, "earliest/latest" are not supported in CLI searches - according to the documentation? And why do I have to convert?
Thanx

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

The conversion needs to be done as the time values is considered in seconds format. You can use

eval start_time = strftime("2018-05-01", "%Y-%m-%d") | eval end_time=strftime("2018-06-01", "%Y-%m-%d")|
where ( _time > start_time and _time < end_time)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...