Monitoring Splunk

Why I get "error code 1" ?

cycheng
Path Finder

I created a custom search command called my_formula.py. When I run the script in my command prompt, everything works fine. Then I run it in Splunk search bar, it shows "External search command 'my_formula' returned error code 1".

I tried to check what is the exact error with below command:
index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd ExecProcessor

But I just get nothing. Does anybody know how to view the stdout or stdin message in Splunk? Please help.

Tags (1)

cycheng
Path Finder

I get my answer from http://answers.splunk.com/answers/62473/how-to-execute-external-script-to-manipulate-file-from-searc...

try:
  :
except:
   import traceback
   stack =  traceback.format_exc()
   results = splunk.Intersplunk.generateErrorResults("Error : Traceback: " + str(stack))
0 Karma

sbrant_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you utilizing python that comes with the OS or the one that comes with Splunk? Try running your script like this:

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd python my_formula.py

This should run it with the Splunk python distribution.

cycheng
Path Finder

Thanks for your answer. My first line of script is
results,unused1,unused2 = splunk.Intersplunk.getOrganizedResults()

The script should get the search results before proceed:
index=my_index | my_formula

May I know how can I pass the search results through command above? I tried below command and it is not working also:
splunk search "index=my_index | my_formula"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...