Archive
Highlighted

Why Do I Get a 404 Error When I Install and Launch Splunk For the First Time Locally On My Windows PC?

I am getting prepared to begin using Splunk on a work project, and am trying to do some training before hand. So I installed Splunk, ran it, and it opened in Edge with a 404 error in localhost:8000. It is saying Edge can't find this page. What can I do to get this working?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Why Do I Get a 404 Error When I Install and Launch Splunk For the First Time Locally On My Windows PC?

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Open up your Services and verify Splunk is running. Try using another browser

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Why Do I Get a 404 Error When I Install and Launch Splunk For the First Time Locally On My Windows PC?

OK, so here is the thing. I'm running this on Windows so I click start>all programs>splunk enterprise and it launches in edge automatically. And it doesn't give me any options to change browser it just throws that error automatically. How do I go about making those sort of changes?

0 Karma
Highlighted

There is no icon except Splunk enterprise in my Windows Instance, no edit configuration option or anything like that. So if I click it, it just launches to Edge.

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you checked your Services to verify its running?

If it's running, which it should be since Windows starts it at boot. You should simply be able to open a different browser and type in localhost:8000

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1) follow instructions here to start splunk

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.1/Installation/StartSplunkforthefirsttime

then

2) Open a prowser and point to http://localhost:8000

0 Karma
Highlighted

OK, I tried to launch from command prompt like instructions here. Apparently it was trying to set it to port 8001, which was already bound. I tried to set it to port 8000 same thing. What should I do?

0 Karma
Highlighted

OK, I didn't know that. I tried another browser same thing. I checked services and it shows splunkd is running, and splunkweb is stopped. I tried to start it, and it threw an error.

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you enable SSL when installing? If so then use https://localhost:8000

0 Karma
Highlighted

It didn't give me an option to, I just installed using the defaults.

0 Karma