Installation

Which approch is easier to implement- installing Universal Forwarder(UF) or using the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Cloud Services

Koko12345678
Explorer

from what I understood with Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Cloud Services, there are some configuration that I will have to perform, while with UF just an installation is required, which approach is preferred? and why?

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Koko12345678
Explorer

Thanks for the answer, but I still don't understand what is the benefit of using one over the other.
let's assume I used UF before it's more familiar to me, why should I'll want to work with new configuration of the add on?

0 Karma

kmorris_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In my opinion, the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Cloud Services would be the better route. As with any Splunk Add-on, you will have the added value of things like field extractions. The Add-on also communicates via API, so I'm not even sure you could easily get at the same data. Also, you would still have to configure a Universal Forwarder to point it at the data sources you want to ingest, with the added task of extracting fields.

Here is a link to a blog post which helps with the configuration of the Add-on. I have had a few customers successfully utilize this post when configuring the Add-on.

https://www.splunk.com/blog/2017/07/27/splunking-microsoft-cloud-data-part-1.html

0 Karma

Koko12345678
Explorer

Thanks for the answer, but I still don't understand what is the benefit of using one over the other.
let's assume I used UF before it's more familiar to me, why should I'll want to work with new configuration of the add on?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...