All Apps and Add-ons

What would cause this Hunk Error?

jaredlaney
Contributor

In handler 'vix-indexes':[hadoop-provider] Error while running external process, return_code=255. See search.log for more info[hadoop-provider] RuntimeException - Failed to validate path and index:Failed on local exception: com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException: Protocol message contained an invalid tag (zero).; Host Details "splunk_hostname_redacted/splunk_ip_address_redacted", destination host is: "hadoop_name_node_redacted":8020;

indexes.conf:

[provider:hadoopf-provider]
vix.splunk.search.splitter = ParquetSplitGenerator
vix.description = parquet_test
vix.env.HADOOP_HOME = /usr/lib/hadoop
vix.env.JAVA_HOME = /usr/java/latest
vix.family = hadoop
vix.fs.default.name = hadoop_name_node_redacted:8020

vix.mapred.job.tracker = job_tracker_redacted:8021

vix.output.buckets.max.network.bandwidth = 0
vix.splunk.home.hdfs = hdfs_user_dir_redacted/splunk
vix.splunk.home.datanode = hdfs_user_dir_redacted/tmp

vix.command.arg.3 = $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/jars/SplunkMR-s6.0-h2.0.jar
vix.splunk.search.debug = 1
vix.splunk.impersonation = 0

Tags (1)
1 Solution

kschon_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This could be caused if your Hadoop client jars were not a match for your Hadoop cluster. Are you sure the contents of /usr/lib/hadoop are the same distributions and version as what your cluster is using?

View solution in original post

kschon_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This could be caused if your Hadoop client jars were not a match for your Hadoop cluster. Are you sure the contents of /usr/lib/hadoop are the same distributions and version as what your cluster is using?

jaredlaney
Contributor

Yep, I think that was it. I was actually trying to connect to a different cloud that was MR2 vs. MR1. The libs were different. I'm uninstalling splunk as a gateway from one cloud and adding it on the other. I'm guessing there isn't a way to be a gateway to two clouds especially if they are different versions?

0 Karma

Ledion_Bitincka
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes there is, you just have to: a) have the appropriate hadoop libs available on the Hunk node and b) set HADOOP_HOME differently for the different providers belonging to the different versions of the clusters

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...