All Apps and Add-ons

What should have an app in order to be of general interest to splunk base community?

brober27

I want to build an app for drilling down some dashboard data . In fact a dashboard is static , on the contrary an app displaying some dashboard data can be dynamic. My question is : my app can be of general interest for other users in the community? How can i develop an app that is not only of interest for my company?
Bye

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Start with the long pole: getting permission to share. If you can't get that done, then do whatever you like. If you can, then I have the suggestions:

1: Use the Add-On Builder tool (if applicable).
2: Put all of your stuff in the `default` folder (make sure that `local` is empty).
3: Use a macro for "where the stuff is" and then have all of your searches refer to that.  This way, when users have their stuff in a different `index` or `sourcetype` value than you do, they only have to change it in one place and it is upgrade-compatible.
4: Check for and take the free training if it applies (there is one for modular alerts, I think, and maybe others).
5: Have at least one other person review your app.  It is amazing what a second set of eyes will find that you should have seen but just couldn't.
6: PICK THE RIGHT LICENSE (do the MIT one, not the default one which crates abandon-ware).
7: Make sure each visualization panel has a drilldown.
8: If possible, get a beta-tester external to your company.
0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@brober27, Refer to Building Splunk App documentation and Best Practices for Developing Splunk Apps and Add-ons .conf 2016 from @jconger

Building Splunk App is also a paid Splunk Education Course after you complete Splunk Fundamentals 1 (Free for everyone) & 2 and Advanced Dashboards and Visualization courses.

For greater acceptance and reuse, you should also try to get your App CIM compliant and Splunk Certified

You should also check out existing Apps/Add-Ons from Splunkbase as your reference see whether there is something already built or present on similar lines. Here is the documentation on preparing your app for publishing on Splunkbase: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunkbase/splunkbase/Splunkbase/Introduction

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...