Splunk Search

What is the underlying representation of booleans in Splunk?

neiljpeterson
Communicator
  some_search | eval this_is_a_bool="TRUE" | eval is_it_a_bool=if(isbool(this_is_a_bool),"yes","no")

Ultimately I am trying to do this

some_search | eval flag="TRUE" | eval is_flag=if(flag,"flag is on","flag is off")

I have tried 1,TRUE,T,$TRUE and I scoured the documentation.

What value should I give to this_is_a_bool to be able to evaluate it as a boolean?

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're doing two different things in your examples. The first is testing a field's type while the second is testing a field's value.

The docs conflict in little in what value a boolean field contains with TRUE being most common and "True" the output of tostring(someBooleanField).

That said, it really doesn't matter what the value is as long as you use the appropriate methods. isbool() to find out if a field is a boolean; and if (field = someExpectedValue, whatIfItIs, whatIfItIsnt) to test if a condition is true or not.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't think you can have a field containing a boolean value.

| stats count | eval bool = isnotnull(1)
Error in 'eval' command: Fields cannot be assigned a boolean result. Instead, try if([bool expr], [expr], [expr]).

neiljpeterson
Communicator

So this almost forces the developer to use magic values as a proxy for a true boolean in the case where a boolean value needs to be manually defined, or when it is a field in an event. It would be nice if there was a "global magic string" that would evaluate to a boolean... maybe Splunk devs have this in the works? :fingers crossed:

0 Karma

neiljpeterson
Communicator

Right. But I would expect that if isbool(someBooleanField) evaluated to true, then I could pass someBooleanField directly to if() without having to evaluate it a la eval is_flag=if(flag,"flag is on","flag is off")

Is this not possible?

The reason for doing it this way is to be able to use isbool() as a native validation check rather than have magic strings and custom validation function.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If isbool(someBooleanField) is true then it's valid to say if(someBooleanField, "On", "Off").

As I intended to say in my answer, one should not be counting on magic strings or values to determine if something is boolean or if that boolean is true or not. Use the proper constructs and the underlying values don't matter.

---

neiljpeterson
Communicator

I see what you are saying. I was interested in the underlying value to be able to set a field as that value, but it seems this is not exposed.

I guess you can only interface with booleans as the result of a function and while passing that to another function, but not store them in fields or variables. martin_mueller has illustrated this pretty succinctly.

Does this seem accurate?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, it does.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...