Splunk Search

What is the manifest file and is there an issue if it is missing?

vanderaj2
Path Finder

Sounds like I have a manifest file/hashing issue that appears whenever I restart splunkd on an endpoint, like the following:

./splunk stop

Stopping splunkd...
Shutting down. Please wait, as this may take a few minutes.

Stopping splunk helpers...

Done.

./splunk start

Splunk> 4TW

Checking prerequisites...
Checking mgmt port [8089]: open
Checking conf files for problems...
Done
Checking default conf files for edits...
Cannot find any source of hashes. Manifest file '(null)' not present?
Problems were found, please review your files and move customizations to local
All preliminary checks passed.

Starting splunk server daemon (splunkd)...
Done

Is this just an annoying error or are there real problems when the manifest is missing? Our UNIX operations team tells me that they install the UF via a package manager, and claim that there is no manifest present on the systems.

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

amahoski
Explorer

The manifest file is actually just used to validate that all of the splunk installation files are intact upon startup. It isn't necessarily harmful to have it missing. It is more of an integrity check of the installation itself. You can find out more about this here:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/Admin/ChecktheintegrityofyourSplunksoftwarefiles

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi vanderaj2,
manifest file is an integrity check of default Splunk file.
Splunk continues to run also without it, there only the message you mentioned in startup.
If you want to solve the problem, you can take this file from another installation of the same Splunk version you're using or upgrade Splunk.
Bye.
Giuseppe

lfedak_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @vanderaj2, If @amahoski solved your problem please remember to "√Accept" an answer to award karma points 🙂

0 Karma

vanderaj2
Path Finder

Ah gotcha - thanks and will do! 🙂

0 Karma

amahoski
Explorer

The manifest file is actually just used to validate that all of the splunk installation files are intact upon startup. It isn't necessarily harmful to have it missing. It is more of an integrity check of the installation itself. You can find out more about this here:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/Admin/ChecktheintegrityofyourSplunksoftwarefiles

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...