Splunk Dev

What is the best way to back up config files?

nawazns5038
Builder

Hi,

In order to take a backup of the config files, I have copied a file to, let's say, authorize.conf_bak_03_21_2018 .

Will Splunk read the settings from the above file? I am assuming that it will not.
But why am I getting following error message in the internal logs?

ERROR Archiver - Failed to open  file="/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/authorize.conf_bak_03_21_2018":
             Permission denied 

What is the best way to backup the config files and save them in the same folder?

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

I normally create a /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/bckup folder and place the backup files there. The error you see gives another reason not to place the backup files in the same directory.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Does the user running Splunk have read permissions on the mentioned file? The permission denied implies a filesystem permissions issue

0 Karma

horsefez
Motivator

Hi @nawazns5038,

try to go for something like this:

authorize.bak
inputs.bak
outputs.bak
props.bak
transforms.bak

If you want to include the backup date, you could also create a folder with the date as its name.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...