All Apps and Add-ons

What does this error mean (java.io.IOException: Hunk timed out while waiting for package=/tmp/splunk/splunk-1/hunk-6.2.2-257696-linux-2.6-x86_64.tgz to be installed)?

jaredlaney
Contributor

Each time I run a Hunk job, I get this error and I'm guessing the IOException comes from not finding the file. We're running this on Yarn, CDH 5.3

Tags (1)
1 Solution

rdagan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You need read/write/execute permissions in the operating system /tmp directory on each DataNode (around 50-100 mb space per DataNode). It stores subset of Hunk ERP binaries and knowledge bundles. If /tmp is mounted without execute permissions please change/set vix.splunk.home.datanode to a different datanode directory or enable /tmp permission and enough space

View solution in original post

rdagan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You need read/write/execute permissions in the operating system /tmp directory on each DataNode (around 50-100 mb space per DataNode). It stores subset of Hunk ERP binaries and knowledge bundles. If /tmp is mounted without execute permissions please change/set vix.splunk.home.datanode to a different datanode directory or enable /tmp permission and enough space

heroku_curzonj
Explorer

I'm running against AWS EMR and I get this same error. /tmp is a symlink to /mnt/tmp and has the correct permissions, plenty of space, and is executable. What are other causes of this error?

0 Karma

kpawar_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you are getting this message, event after having correct permissions and enough space, then issue could be happening because of timeout while copying package to the data nodes. The default timeout for the package copy is 20sec.
Setting for this in Hunk Provider is mentioned below.
vix.splunk.setup.package.setup.timelimit = time limit (in milliseconds)
Try after increasing timeout to 2 minutes.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...