Monitoring Splunk

What are the best practice searches for server & OS monitoring?

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'd like to implement some basic searches for server and OS monitoring without getting caught up in the differences between sourcetypes and field names.

I already implemented the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows and the Splunk Add-on Unix and Linux but I find that enumerating each sourcetype and coalescing the common fields is feeling unnecessarily complicated.

Are there any basic searches that provide server and OS monitoring without me having to deal with the complexities of the sourcetype differences? Something akin to the Performance Model of the Common Information Model, perhaps?

1 Solution

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Replaced the answer with its new homes.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Updated "Storage Free" search to display by different mount/disks.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Added a section about Alerts and incoming link What are the best event-data inputs for basic server and os monitoring?.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@gjanders - You're spot on. That's the intent of the "Future" section here. We'll eventually update this for the metrics and Splunk App for Infrastructure which is quickly becoming a game changer in this domain.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to April Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars in April. This post ...

Want to Reduce Costs, Mitigate Risk, Improve Performance, or Increase Efficiencies? ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...