Installation

What Installer Do I Use to Update Splunk 7.3

ismams

currently running 6.6.1, no premium app, licensed enterprise splunk, on prem, single instance (pretty vanilla installation)
looking to update to 7.3
do I use the installer found in My Dashboard > Free Trials and Downloads > Splunk Enterprise ?

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/download/splunk-enterprise.html

It looks like a trial installer but are there any non-trial installers? Will this one just pick up the license currently installed when I update?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, you can install on top of your existing installation and it will use the license you already have. It will be worth reading through the upgrade documentation, even though you have the simplest case. See the topics starting with How to upgrade Splunk Enterprise in the Installation Manual.

View solution in original post

ismams

Hey, thanks for the reply. I have read through that support link and much of the other links it suggests. I may have just missed it but I didn't remember seeing what installer to use/where to get that installer. I had assumed that there would trial installers for unlicensed users and non-trial installers if you have a valid entitlement or license for splunk. But, I guess that's why we ask questions! Thanks for clarifying that for me.

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, you can install on top of your existing installation and it will use the license you already have. It will be worth reading through the upgrade documentation, even though you have the simplest case. See the topics starting with How to upgrade Splunk Enterprise in the Installation Manual.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...