All Apps and Add-ons

WIN: Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows vs INF: Splunk App for Windows

rchittip
Path Finder

Hi,
I have a requirement to monitor windows servers from Splunk.
However, when look for an app in splunkbase, found two apps for windows. I installed WIN:Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows and configured and deployed for my needs.

I'm wondering why two apps for windows monitoring. Can someone explains what is the best fit for windows monitoring among these in Splunk for production. Thanks in Advance!!

Thanks,
Ramu Chittiprolu

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

deepashri_123
Motivator

hey rchittip,

The Splunk for Microsoft Windows add-on includes predefined inputs to collect data from Windows systems and maps to normalize the data to the Common Information Model whereas Splunk App for Windows gives you predefined dashboards and alerts .

The various add-ons are used to take different form of data inputs to make it compatible with the predefined dashboard queries.

You can refer the documentation for Splunk App for windows to check the add-ons required and the location for it to be installed.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/MSApp/1.4.3/MSInfra/HowtodeploytheSplunkAppforWindowsInfrastruc...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

deepashri_123
Motivator

hey rchittip,

The Splunk for Microsoft Windows add-on includes predefined inputs to collect data from Windows systems and maps to normalize the data to the Common Information Model whereas Splunk App for Windows gives you predefined dashboards and alerts .

The various add-ons are used to take different form of data inputs to make it compatible with the predefined dashboard queries.

You can refer the documentation for Splunk App for windows to check the add-ons required and the location for it to be installed.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/MSApp/1.4.3/MSInfra/HowtodeploytheSplunkAppforWindowsInfrastruc...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...