Deployment Architecture

WHAT is this error "Search peer "sql01" has the following message: pass4SymmKey setting in the clustering or general stanza of server.conf is set to empty or the default value. You must change it to a different value."?

akhil4mdev
Explorer

Detail :

The search head i am working is called "BLADE"

A customer stack has :

2 IDX (sql01,sql02)in a cluster with a cluster master.(sqlMaster1)
A search head(SH1,SH2) cluster with a deployer .

SO FOR EASY ACCESS :
we again attached the 2 IDX (sql01,sql02) of customer stack as search peers to "BLADE" and also added the customer stacks cluster master(sqlMaster1) under "indexer clustering" in "BLADE".

so sql01 went down
under "BLADE" -->distributed search --> search peers

so i deleted it and added it

now i can see it is up and running

But i see this error on searchhead "BLADE"

Search peer "sql01" has the following message: pass4SymmKey setting in the clustering or general stanza of server.conf is set to empty or the default value. You must change it to a different value.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

darrenfuller
Contributor

Hi @akhil4mdev,

On BLADE, run the following:

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool server list --debug | egrep "(\[(clustering|shclustering)\]|pass4SymmKey\s+\=)"

This will return something like the following:

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/org_cluster_search_base/default/server.conf       [clustering]
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/server.conf                             pass4SymmKey =
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/org_cluster_search_base/local/server.conf         pass4SymmKey = $1$t7/fkqNtX2XLT7JoAA==
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/server.conf                             pass4SymmKey =
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/server.conf                             [shclustering]

Now, that error message is saying that one of either [clustering] or [shclustering] has not set a custom value. if you look at the example, i have a custom pass4SymmKey set on /opt/splunk/etc/apps/org_cluster_search_base/local/server.conf to set the value for [clustering], but for [shclustering], there is nothing other than the /etc/system/default value.... This one is the one that needs to be addressed.

The value for pass4SymmKey needs to match on all the hosts in a cluster as well as the deployer / cluster master.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...