Archive

WHAT VERSION ?

Contributor

i have been reading lots of Q&A here, and its becoming hard to follow the Q&A's because people are not posting what version/platform of splunk the question is for, or i see a Q and the 1st A is a "what version are you talking about?"

can everyone start their Q with the version/platform of Splunk (or other Splunk product/app/whatever) the Q is about.

example:
v4.3.1 linux

or

v4.1.4 doze

Tags (1)

Legend

I agree that in the situations where it's relevant it would be a good thing, however I don't agree that it's that common that answers rely so much on which Splunk version the poster is running. Many questions are about generic Splunk stuff and how to utilize the search language to achieve various things. These things have not changed very much recently.

Champion

+1 To what Ayn said. I also spend a fair bit of time and version is very very rarely an issue, in fact in your example they actually specify the version so its not an issue 😉 If anything people should be encouraged to include it in the question tag more than anything. There are no real differences between Splunk linux and windows except for the CLI usage (because of the inherent differences between the two OS's) and obviously the OS specific filesystem and permissions bits.

Legend

When you say that, the only question I can think of was the one I answered regarding indexed fields. I spend an embarrassingly huge amount of time on this site so I'd be surprised if I managed to miss all the other questions with this popping up "all the time".

But hey, I'm not saying you're wrong about that it's useful info for the questions where it's relevant. With many questions however that is simply not the case.

Contributor

nah, i see Q&A all the time where the A has "oh, that was suppose to be fixed in v4.3.1", and the the OP writes back "oh, i am running 4.3.1, so i guess its not fixed yet?". and apparently everyting in Splunk is not the same between linux and doze. its just a tidbit of info that puts the Q into specific context with regards to which product, etc.

0 Karma

Champion

See I disagree, I think a version number applies to very few questions, and the ones it is relevant to generally either start with the user giving the version or someone asking for the version. Between 4.2 and 4.3 there is very little change in the search language, any additional questions about 4.3 specific features are generally obviously for 4.3

0 Karma

Influencer

Agreed, but would it not be useful to include anyway, it takes a second or so to type a version number.

0 Karma

Influencer

Daily rant?

I do agree though, but sometimes "in the heat of the moment", users forget (I know I have done, shockingly).

0 Karma