Splunk Search

Using non timestamp field to produce search for yesterday

jackreeves
Explorer

I have a date field called "Closed date" in following format "%Y/%m/%d" that IS NOT my timestamp field & want to create a daily scheduled report that only returns data for "Closed date"=previous day. I've tried a eventstats max(closed date) formula but this trips up as on a rare occasion there will be a close date of today.

Any suggestions??

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this

index=foo sourcetype=bar... (your base search)...   [| gentimes start=-1 | eval "Closed date"=strftime(relative_time(now(),"-1d@d"),"%Y/%m/%d") | table "Closed date" ]
|...rest of the search   

The subsearch would return yesterday's date in same format as field "Closed date" to filter records. Please ensure that the time range (which only works on _time) is selected in way that it includes all the data that may have "Closed date" of yesterday.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this

index=foo sourcetype=bar... (your base search)...   [| gentimes start=-1 | eval "Closed date"=strftime(relative_time(now(),"-1d@d"),"%Y/%m/%d") | table "Closed date" ]
|...rest of the search   

The subsearch would return yesterday's date in same format as field "Closed date" to filter records. Please ensure that the time range (which only works on _time) is selected in way that it includes all the data that may have "Closed date" of yesterday.

0 Karma

jackreeves
Explorer

That has worked like a charm! Thank you so much. I've never come across the gentimes function before

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I'm using gentimes command to just generate a single row where I can set "Closed date" and return it's value. A more appropriate command for this, for version 6.3+, is | makeresults. (Replacing | gentimes start=-1 with |makeresults in above search).

0 Karma

jackreeves
Explorer

Thanks, updated search accordingly. Is there any documentation on these functions, would like to understand more?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Absolutely. Here is the documentation for makeresults specifically. You can find all other search command in the left side tree view.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.0/SearchReference/Makeresults

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...