Splunk Search

Using Splunk as a real-time event detection engine

jsash1

Hi,

I have a requirement for an event detection engine which is able to identify a string (e.g. username) in a particular data source and 'notify' other systems that the event has occurred.

I appreciate the inherent flexibility Splunk has by allowing Scripts to be used in conjunction with Alerts to achive this, but i wanted to see if anyone is using Splunk within a large enterprise Production environment as an event detection engine (instead of just a data visualisation tool)?

Once the event has occurred, Splunk will need to 'notify' other systems by sending a JMS message to one system and updating a database table in another system. How suitable is the scripting capability in Splunk for run-time requirements like this?

Cheers,
James.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

billford
Path Finder

Sorry reading it on my phone, overlooked the actual question. Yes that should be no problem. You can script with pretty much anything. I generally use python or bash but to each his/her own. :). We often use external alerting to send an ip to a firewall to be dropped or to update a blacklist, etc. Same principle.

0 Karma

billford
Path Finder

Yes. All the time. What is your specific question?

0 Karma

jsash1

Once the event has occurred, Splunk will need to 'notify' other systems by sending a JMS message to one system and updating a database table in another system. How suitable is the scripting capability in Splunk for run-time requirements like this?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...