<query>| loadjob savedsearch="MyUser:MyApp:WindowsPatches" 
| search $DPT$ | stats dc(Computer_Name)</query>
          <earliest>-30d@d</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
          <sampleRatio>1</sampleRatio>
        </search>
      </single>
</panel>

I'm facing a little issue here, I can filter using a dropdown, that's the "| search $DPT$ " where $DPT$ is a dropdown of Departments with the following Token value prefix :

• DPT="

and the following Token value sufix

• "

But I would like to reuse the "restricted search terms" of the user which is, for exemple : DPT="IT" in order to really restrict and not only visually. I didn't find a topic on how to retrieve this specific field, any ideas ?

Regards,

Tags (1)
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do not use those search restrictions using search-time fields if the application is security-relevant, they're easily bypassed.
Similarly, do not use dashboard-based restrictions as those are under the control of the user's browser, and thereby easily bypassed as well.

If it's just a convenience case with no security implications you can use the currently logged in user's context via |rest to load its roles and associated search filters.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Index permissions per role and saved searches running as owner for indexes the users should not have full access to.

0 Karma

mdtrandco

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your answer. If I have security in mind, what are the function I should look into ?

Regards,

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...