Installation

Upgrading SPLUNK 6.5.1 to 7.0.3

pfabrizi
Path Finder

I am currently running SPLUNK Enterprise 6.5.1 with ES and we would like to upgrade to ES 5.0 which requires ASPLUNK Enterprise 6.6 or 7.0.

I am looking for recommended upgrade process. I have a license\deployment server, 1 search head with ES, 1 light weight forwarder and 2 indexers.

is there an order for the devices?
should I stop the splunkd from running?
can I just untar the .tgz file to /opt/splunk?

I do have a process that backsup all the custom stanzas and lookup tables.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion

Below are the steps to upgrade:

Also, read docs carefully before upgrading. 🙂

0 Karma

pfabrizi
Path Finder

is there a difference between core splunk tar file and splunk enterprise?

also my forwarder has a folder of /trvapps/splunkforwarder instead of /trvapps/splunk, so how to I tar that file into that folder?

I create a test folder and did a tar -xzf splunk-7xxx.gz from the /trvapps/test folder and it created a splunk folder, so I am guessing when I upgrade I want to be /trvapps if the splunk folder already exists?

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...