Security

Update the admin password for UF globally

tlam_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We want to change the admin password for all the UF globally. Is it possible to change it through the deployment server ? As we have more than thousand of UF and don't want to change it one by one. Is there any way to achieve it ? Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

tlam_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We finally find that there is no supported way to change the password via a deployment server. However, we can reset the admin password by using the following command:

splunk edit user -auth admin: --newpassword

and we would change the password across all the UFs is to set up a script with this command the have the script deployed and ran on all the deployment clients

Try to create a dump app and deploy it to the UF
- create the inputs.conf

e.g.
[script://$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps//bin/change_pass.sh]
disabled = false
interval = 100000 (any big value)
- create the change_pass.sh script and issue the splunk change admin password command. As it expects to run it once, we could have some checking to stop it from changing password again if it’s run already.

0 Karma

skalliger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You had no success in deploying an app that removes your passwd file and deploy a user-seed.conf to all of your forwarders?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...