Deployment Architecture

Unable to start splunkforwarder service on windows server

anoopambli
Communicator

I've installed universal (splunkforwarder-5.0.1-143156-x86-release.msi) on a windows 2003 server (32 bit) using commandline option

msiexec.exe /i "C:\temp\splunkforwarder-5.0.1-143156-x86-release.msi" AGREETOLICENSE=Yes LAUNCHSPLUNK=0 /quiet

I am trying to start splunkforwarder service after the installation is done but it is giving me this error message.

"Could not start Splunkforwarder service on Local computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly"

Any idea how to fix this?

0 Karma

DanRogl

How does the service run? Under a domain account? If so grant the service account modify access to the Program Files\Splunk directory.

0 Karma

DaveSavage
Builder

Er Dan - I think we asked that question a few 'comments' / Q's ago? Check above...but essentially in the right space...

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

have a look at splunkd.log in the splunk_home/var/log/splunk directory

0 Karma

anoopambli
Communicator

I tried /program files/Splunk/bin/splunk start and it gives error as below.

Splunk> CSI: Logfiles.

Checking prerequisites...
Checking mgmt port [8089]: open
Checking conf files for typos... Done
All preliminary checks passed.

Starting splunk server daemon (splunkd)...
SplunkForwarder: Starting (pid 7636)

Timed out waiting for splunkd to start.

0 Karma

DaveSavage
Builder

Further thoughts - have you tried starting Splunk manually to see where in the startup sequence it is failing?
/program files/Splunk/bin/splunk start or ..splunk start --accept-license for good measure?

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

a forwarder doesn't have to have any inputs or outputs configured to start correctly. Have you had a look in your Windows Event logs to see if it logged any more detail? How are you trying to start it?

0 Karma

DaveSavage
Builder

Hmm...am not sure if it can 'wait' to find that param out, maybe it can. I didn't see it above, but there is another param if you are using a deploy server (DEPLOYMENT_SERVER="hostdets:port")?
The GUI option was the other suggestion, yes. However if you are entering the same info / or not, it may just be replicating the issue.
Can you try (either) with the FORWARD_SERVER...?

0 Karma

anoopambli
Communicator

I am using a domain account to perform this installation. I left out forward_server option as we wanted to put those config through a deployment server.

Manual installation through GUI also fails with the same error message.

0 Karma

DaveSavage
Builder

Anoopambli - did you set FORWARD_SERVER="destserver:port" so that the forwarder knows where it is sending logs to?
Are your domain rights / account ok, members of local Admin Group etc (maybe you are domain admin ;-)?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...