Splunk Dev

Unable to join the indexer to cluster

khusain_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

I am trying to add a new indexer to the cluster. I am unble to add the server.

I get the following error.

=====
03-22-2019 03:41:25.260 -0400 ERROR CMSlave - Cannot connect to master due to error=failed method=GET path=/services/cluster/master/info/?output_mode=json master=XX.XX.XX.XX:8089 rv=0 gotConnectionError=0 gotUnexpectedStatusCode=1 actual_response_code=401 expected_response_code=2xx status_line="Unauthorized" socket_error="No error" remote_error=call not properly authenticated... (retrying every second).

Tags (1)
0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @rashid47010,

You should try to recover pass4SymmKey by using another one of your server in the cluster or reuse splunk.secretfrom another member of your cluster then take the encrypted pass4SymmKey from there to your new server.

some info here : https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Security/Deploysecurepasswordsacrossmultipleserv...

Check this answer if you wish to go for the recovery:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/745041/help-to-recover-pass4symmkey.html

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

khusain_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi All,

Check your clustering configuration in server.conf on new Indexer which you are trying to add. The error says "Unauthorized" which indicates that credentials are not correct. We need a secret key "pass4SymmKey" in order to add a new Indexer to the existing cluster. Please make sure it is correct.

Thanks!

rashid47010
Communicator

and If we dont have pass4SymmKey then.... 🙂

what is the workaround

0 Karma

khusain_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@rashid47010
Then you have only one option to re-create the cluster with new pass4SymmKey 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...