Installation

Unable to boot start splunk during installation of splunk forwarder 6.2.2

nirmalya2006
Path Finder

Hi All

I quite new to splunk and I am trying to install splunk universal forwarder 6.2.2 on linux systems.
Below are the commands that I have in a shell script which is executed by root user.

1. tar -zxvf splunkuniversalforwarder-6.2.2-255606-Linux-x86_64.gz -C /opt
  2. groupadd splunk
  3. useradd -g splunk splunk
  4. chown -R splunk:splunk /opt/splunkforwarder
  5. export SPLUNK_HOME=/opt/splunkforwarder
  6. export PATH=$SPLUNK_HOME/bin:$PATH
  7. splunk enable boot-start -user splunk --accept-license --answer-yes
  8. service splunk start

The script is executing perfectly till step 6.
On step 7 the script gets hung and there is no output and neither the script proceeds ahead.

I am unable to understand if this is an issue with the linux server where I am trying to install the forwarder or something is wrong with the installer.
Can someone please help me on this.

Thanks
Nirmalya

0 Karma
1 Solution

nirmalya2006
Path Finder

Well for some reason ./splunk start --accept-license or splunk enable boot-start -user splunk was not working on this particular Linux server. We are yet to figure out the reason.
So we had to use service splunk enable boot-start -user splunk and service splunk start to get the thing working.

For other cases we were getting error message
For ./splunk start --accept-license we got Unrecognized service
For splunk enable boot-start -user splunk the command execution went to hung state

Good thing is the service is now working fine with service splunk start/stop/restart commands

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nirmalya2006
Path Finder

Well for some reason ./splunk start --accept-license or splunk enable boot-start -user splunk was not working on this particular Linux server. We are yet to figure out the reason.
So we had to use service splunk enable boot-start -user splunk and service splunk start to get the thing working.

For other cases we were getting error message
For ./splunk start --accept-license we got Unrecognized service
For splunk enable boot-start -user splunk the command execution went to hung state

Good thing is the service is now working fine with service splunk start/stop/restart commands

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@nirmalya2006 - Did your answer provide a working solution to your question? If yes and you would like to close out your post, don't forget to click "Accept" and upvote any previous answers/comments that were helpful. But if you'd like to keep it open for possibilities of other answers, then you don't have to take action on it yet.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi nirmalya2006,
instead of item 7 and 8 you should run the following commands

• cd /opt/splunkuniversalforwarder/bin
  • ./splunk start --accept-license
  • splunk enable boot-start -user splunk

In addition I suggest to use rpm command because in this way you avoid items 2,3,4,5 and 6
you have only three items:

• rpm -i splunkuniversalforwarder-6.2.2-255606-Linux-x86_64.rpm
  • cd /opt/splunkuniversalforwarder/bin
  • ./splunk start --accept-license
  • splunk enable boot-start -user splunk

Every way see http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Forwarder/6.5.2/Forwarder/Installanixuniversalforwarder

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You have an extra ./splunk start --accept-license.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

yes sorry! cut and past error!
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

nirmalya2006
Path Finder

I also tried to manually execute the same command but it remains hung and I had to terminate the execution
splunk enable boot-start -user splunk --accept-license --answer-yes

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...