Getting Data In

Trouble ignoring events

_smp_
Builder

I'm having some difficulty forcing Splunk to ignore events which start with a '#' character. The file is compressed, but the events appear to be indexing OK. Here are my props and transforms - is there anything obviously wrong here?

[source::/logs/proxy/SG_proxyna_SIEM__1920629171951.log.gz.processed]
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
invalid_cause = archive
unarchive_cmd = gunzip -c -f -S .processed
TRANSFORMS-comments = setNull
TRUNCATE = 20000
TIME_PREFIX = ^
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 19

-
[setNull]
REGEX = ^#
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

maciep
Champion

At a glance, I think everything looks ok. Do you have the props and transforms on the parsing layer of your environment, typically an indexer?

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You should use ^\s*# instead.

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

The first character in the line I want to ignore is a #, so that regex would not match.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are missing the point; there might be leading whitespace in front of the pound sign.

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

That wasn't what you posted initially, which is why I asked the follow up. But I understand your revised regex, and you're right, that's a good idea. Thanks for bringing it up for consideration.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might also try using sedcmd in props negating the need for transforms.conf

SEDCMD-removeHashLines = s/^#.*//g

SEDCMD only happens at index time, so you'd have to reindex the data to see the changes.

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

At a glance, I think everything looks ok. Do you have the props and transforms on the parsing layer of your environment, typically an indexer?

adepasquale
Path Finder

I have the exact opposite issue, my sql logs contain useful information after the # sign but they are omitted (as comments i suppose)

How can i fix this?

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

That's a weird one. So Splunk indexes the entire output until # and then nothing else to the end of the line? What type of input - monitor?

0 Karma

adepasquale
Path Finder

It's a multiline input from a MYSQL slow log. I had created my own source type for this with the add monitor command.

# sample
# output
text here

would result in just

text here

Anyways, i changed the sourcetype to the predefined mysql_slow source type and it's working now.

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

maciep was right - I had the correct stanzas, but in the wrong place. Here is the corrected versions. Thank you very much!!!

Universal Forwarder: props.conf
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
invalid_cause = archive
unarchive_cmd = gunzip -c -f -S .processed

Indexer: props.conf
TRANSFORMS-comments = setNull
TRUNCATE = 20000
TIME_PREFIX = ^
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 19

Indexer: transforms.conf
[setNull]
REGEX = ^#
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Click Accept on this answer.

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

This seems odd to me because maciep's answer was right, not mine.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can transfer the points that you got for answering to him.

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

no worries...karma is cool and all, but just glad it's working for you now 🙂

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

All fixed now 😉

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

I should have mentioned this in my original post - I have the props and transforms on a universal forwarder. I will try moving the conf files to the indexer and post the results.

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

Just to be clear, I believe the no binary check, invalid clause and unarchive cmd settings will need to remain on your forwarder. Those happen at input time. The rest happens at parse time and should be on your indexers.

Wasn't sure if you were literally going to move both files or just copy them, so wanted to mention that 🙂

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

Actually I am a new Splunk admin and I struggle quite a bit understanding which parameters go where. I found that comment to really helpful - thanks. I'm working on the config files now...

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

in case you haven't come across it yet, this article may help unmuddy the waters a bit.

http://wiki.splunk.com/Where_do_I_configure_my_Splunk_settings%3F

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

Again, great reference - thank you.

You were right, I had the stanzas in the wrong place. I don't see a way to convert your comment to an answer, so I wasn't sure what to do. If you know how, and care about the credit, let me know and I'll be happy to do it.

Thanks again for a really helpful answer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...