Getting Data In

Time format in DB query result

anoopambli
Communicator

I am using splunk DB connect to pull out some data to create a dashboard. But having difficulty in getting the time format corrected in search result. The time format looks like in seconds, how do i convert them to Date-Month-year format. Below is the sample of search result, i am trying to get Creation_field and last_update_field time format adjusted.

CREATION_DATE DESCRIPTION LAST_UPDATE_DATE USERNAME
1384405200 xnje411 server monitoring addition 1385010000 Melvin Bolden (a056648)
1384318800 snjw100 server monitoring addition 1385960400 Melvin Bolden (a056648)

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sroback_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can try to use the | fieldformat command (similar to eval, but applies at field rendering time, so that sort still works correctly) and the strftime() function. For example:

... | fieldformat Creation_field = strftime(Creation_field, “%m-%d-%y”)

See: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Fieldformat#Examples

anoopambli
Communicator

I was able to fix it by using convert command convert timeformat="%b %d, %Y" ctime(OPEN_TIME) AS Open-Date

anoopambli
Communicator

I tried using fieldformat option but facing some problem. This is the query i am running

... | fieldformat "OPEN_TIME"=strftime('Open time', "%m-%d-%y")

The result for Open_time field coming up as blank now,

Anything i am doing wrong here??

0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator
0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi, you probably just need to make sure that Splunk recognizes that's a time. Here's some tips: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/1.1.1/DeployDBX/Configuredatabasemonitoring#About_timestamp...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...