Archive
Highlighted

Time Stamp Question

Builder

Quick question, is Splunk supposed to be able to understand a time stamp string like this;

2014 Mar 14 20:51:10:981 GMT -7

It seems to not understand the "-7" part. The raw data is showing up as simply GMT time.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Time Stamp Question

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That is a non-standard timestamp. A more standard format would be "2014 Mar 14 20:51:10.981-0700". Splunk can be taught to parse your dates, however, by modifying the props.conf file. See http://answers.splunk.com/answers/4176/splunk-time-stamp-error.

---
If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try using this a TIME_FORMAT in props.conf

TIME_FORMAT = %Y %b %d %H:%M:%S:%3Q %Z %z
0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As per documentation, it will use TZ from raw data first, if available. (props.conf documentation)

TZ =
* The algorithm for determining the time zone for a particular event is as follows:
* If the event has a timezone in its raw text (for example, UTC, -08:00), use that.
* If TZ is set to a valid timezone string, use that.
* If the event was forwarded, and the forwarder-indexer connection is using the
6.0+ forwarding protocol, use the timezone provided by the forwarder.
* Otherwise, use the timezone of the system that is running splunkd.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Builder

So, in my case, with the raw data showing

2014 Mar 14 20:51:10:981 GMT -7

I'm hosed unless I can get the user to change his logging format, correct?

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk can identify timezone by itself if its in standard format. Since your logs have custom timestamp, You need to specify TIME_FORMAT attribute to enable Splunk to identify the location of timezone in your logs. ("%Z %Z" part). You can specify TZ attribute in case the logs will miss timezone part (in that case it will take the timezone from the TZ attribute).

0 Karma
Highlighted

Builder

My confusion is if altering the props.conf file will override the GMT stamp in the source data. I ~thought~ that if Splunk saw a timezone in the source data, it would take that information first over the props.conf file. I assume I'm wrong on this one and that would be a good thing.

0 Karma