Splunk Search

Tar'ing index so that it is distributable to other Splunk instance

Nicholas_Key
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

[1] I would like to know if I can tar an index from a Splunk instance and then untar it into other Splunk instance?

[2] Would untar'ing the index overwrites the already existing events of that other Splunk instance?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
  1. Yes you can.
  2. Copy it to a new index instead and it won't. If you are trying to merge index contents, then you should only copy individual buckets (i.e. exclude index-level metadata), and make sure the bucket ID numbers are changed so there are no conflicts. Or delete the old index first if you are not trying to merge.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
  1. Yes you can.
  2. Copy it to a new index instead and it won't. If you are trying to merge index contents, then you should only copy individual buckets (i.e. exclude index-level metadata), and make sure the bucket ID numbers are changed so there are no conflicts. Or delete the old index first if you are not trying to merge.

Nicholas_Key
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks! I'll try this out.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...