Getting Data In

TCP Input Ignores Custom Timestamp in JSON

dknb
Engager

Hello,

I have user event logs that I'm trying to ingest over TCP. Every event is a JSON like this:

{key1:v1,....,event:{time:"$ISO8601_VALUE",keyn:vn}...}

Here's my props.conf on indexer node (I don't use forwarders yet):

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/local/props.conf:
[usr_event]
DATETIME_CONFIG =
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS = event.time
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S
TZ = UTC
category = Custom
pulldown_type = 1
KV_MODE = json
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
disabled = false*

When I use this source type in a file, I can get timestamp extracted correctly in preview but when I use the same source type in TCP input, I my custom timestamp setting ignored so I get the time stamp at the time of loading.

I prefer TCP as it makes it a lot easier to stream back-fill input for historical data as well as for daily ETL.

Is there something wrong with my settings?

Thanks,

David

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are configuring JSON twice; use either INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json or KV_MODE = json, but NOT both. In your case, keep the former and remove the latter. Make sure that this inputs.conf file gets sent to the FORWARDER (Yes, not just to the Indexer) and that all splunk instances there are restarted.

0 Karma

dknb
Engager

I tried it again yesterday, no luck. Perhaps splunk is not recognizing nested field, event.time. I also have logging event id timestamp that looks like 20151026013223432432432... I tried cutting strptime timestamp portion but so far it didn't work either.

0 Karma

dknb
Engager

Update:

Ended up using TIME_PREFIX instead of TIMESTAMP_FIELDS:

TIME_PREFIX=\"logEventId\":\"
TIME_FORMAT = %Y%m%d%H%M%S%3N'

It seems to work consistently, will update this thread if it doesn't 🙂

Thanks,

David

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Check your fields and find the name that splunk has given the Timestamp field; it must not be event.time.

0 Karma

dknb
Engager

Thank you, TIME_PREFIX setting is working for me so far.

0 Karma

dknb
Engager

Thank you, will try it first thing Monday.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...