Getting Data In

TAs with redundant perfmon inputs

dlofstrom
Path Finder

We recently deployed the Splunk for Exchange app, and I just happened to notice that some perfmon information from the Exchange hosts are not being indexed, specifically the standard Windows objects like CPU, Memory, etc.

Made me realize I may have misunderstood something when I was deploying the TAs for each server role (our Exchange hosts - with the exception of our Edge servers are mult-roled). On all TAs save for the MailboxStore TA, I disabled these perfmon inputs, assuming having it enabled on all of them would significantly increase the amount of perfmon info getting indexed. For example, for 3 TAs each with a CPU perfmon input queried every 10sec, I assumed this would result in 3 results getting indexed every 10sec rather than 1.

Is this assumption correct? Or does it build a single input for the host no matter how many times it's defined?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jbernt_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi there,
The perfmon inputs will only get indexed once per forwarder. Btool can help show this:
"splunk.exe cmd btool inputs list"
So it is safe to leave the inputs enabled, especially in the case of multiple addons, disabling one may disable the same stanza across the board.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jbernt_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi there,
The perfmon inputs will only get indexed once per forwarder. Btool can help show this:
"splunk.exe cmd btool inputs list"
So it is safe to leave the inputs enabled, especially in the case of multiple addons, disabling one may disable the same stanza across the board.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...