Getting Data In

String to Date Time

dhiraj027in

I am new to splunk and currently trying to get the date and time difference (Opened vs Resolved) for an incident.
Based on the field type Opened & Resolved are string type and what should I do? I have gone to multiple answers but not able to figure out the solution. Please help.

Below is the example of my selected fields

Assigned to = Arjay Torreliza
Category = Alert
Number = INC0975300
Opened = 5/31/2016 22:43
Resolved = 6/1/2016 9:49
host = prd-p-ttsrqrml973d
source = incident.csv
sourcetype = csv
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

First, you need to convert the string to epoch time using the strptime command & then find the difference.. try this

| eval opened_epoch=strptime(Opened, "%-m/%d/%Y %H:%M) | eval resolved_epoch=strptime(Resolved, "%-m/%d/%Y %-H:%M) | eval duration=tostring(resolved_epoch-opened_epoch, "duration")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

First, you need to convert the string to epoch time using the strptime command & then find the difference.. try this

| eval opened_epoch=strptime(Opened, "%-m/%d/%Y %H:%M) | eval resolved_epoch=strptime(Resolved, "%-m/%d/%Y %-H:%M) | eval duration=tostring(resolved_epoch-opened_epoch, "duration")
0 Karma

dhiraj027in

Great. This works but the duration is not exactly what I am looking for. Is this possible?

Current output (this shows 6 days, 23 hours & 23 seconds)
6+23:23:00.000000

What I am looking for (167 hours and 23 seconds)
167:23:00.000000

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Add this to the end

| rex field=z "(?<d>\d{0,2})\+?(?<h>\d{2})(?<ms>:\d{2}:\d{2})" | eval d=if(len(d)=0, 0, d) | eval duration=(d*24+h).ms 
0 Karma

dhiraj027in

I used the above and integrated with my query. I am not getting any output for "duration". Should I change anything here?

index="incidents_stores_wisp" date_year="2016" Category="Alert" | eval opened_epoch=strptime(Opened, "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M") | eval resolved_epoch=strptime(Resolved, "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M") | eval duration=tostring(resolved_epoch-opened_epoch, "duration") | rex field=z "(?\d{0,2})\+?(?\d{2})(?:\d{2}:\d{2})" | eval d=if(len(d)=0, 0, d) | eval duration=(d*24+h).ms | table Number "Assigned to" "Short description" Opened Resolved duration
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...