Deployment Architecture

Streamstats help

zacksoft
Contributor

Here are two events from the source-type

2019-01-03 09:56:14,626 https-jsse-nio-7443-exec-126 TOMMYLE 596x8523868x11 1pymrrq 30.139.119.25,30.128.254.78 /secure/Logout!default.jspa HttpSession created [70jb1u]

2019-01-03 09:56:14,626 https-jsse-nio-8443-exec-126 TOMMYLE 596x8523868x11 1pymrrq 30.139.119.25,30.128.254.78 /secure/Logout!default.jspa HttpSession [1pymrrq] destroyed for 'AF27461'

where TOMMYLE is the user and 'HttpSession created/destroyed' indicates when he logs in and gets logged out from the app. I could use some help probably with streamstats or something similar where it should compare , "keeping the user name same if the 'HttpSession created' word changes to 'HttpSession [some string] destroyed' in some upcoming event (which means the user session ended) then it should keep a tab/count telling whether the user is logged in right now. I intend to uses a timechart to show from the above data how many users are logged in right now in a span of 1 hour (Optional : and if possible how long the used was logged on).

Thank you. I hope i am clear with the explanation.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This should get you started.

index=foo "HttpSession" 
| eval COMMENT = "Extract the fields.  You can skip this bit if they're already extracted."
| rex "(?:\S+\s){3}(?<user>\S+)\s\S+\s(?<session>\S+)\s.*?HttpSession (?:\[[^\]]+\]\s)?(?<action>\S+)?"
| eval COMMENT = "Get the latest action for each user"
| stats first(_time) as logonTime, latest(action) as action, latest(user) as user by session
| eval COMMENT = "Filter those whose most recent action was a logon"
| where action="created"
| table logonTime user
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This should get you started.

index=foo "HttpSession" 
| eval COMMENT = "Extract the fields.  You can skip this bit if they're already extracted."
| rex "(?:\S+\s){3}(?<user>\S+)\s\S+\s(?<session>\S+)\s.*?HttpSession (?:\[[^\]]+\]\s)?(?<action>\S+)?"
| eval COMMENT = "Get the latest action for each user"
| stats first(_time) as logonTime, latest(action) as action, latest(user) as user by session
| eval COMMENT = "Filter those whose most recent action was a logon"
| where action="created"
| table logonTime user
---

zacksoft
Contributor

@richgalloway ♦ Can we put in a timechart like command indicating how many users were logged in per 30 min over a period of last 24 hours ?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try replacing the where and table commands with timechart span=30m dc(user).

---
0 Karma

zacksoft
Contributor

@richgalloway ♦ This is brilliant. Thank you.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

| eval COMMENT = "Filter those whose most recent action was a logon" is gorgeous ; - )

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...