Splunk Search

Statistics Related

splunkrags
Engager

Hi,

I have a continuous stream of response times for a given service. A fraction of these responses can be very high due to various reasons. I would like to omit such occurrences (assuming that these are 2%) and calculate the average response time. Can this be achieved in a simple manner ? Example illustrated below:

Service Response Time (98% of the time)

A ---> 3.5 ms ( assuming values - 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,10 - needs to omit 10)

B ---> 4 ms ( assuming values - 4,4,4,4,4,5, 7,11 - needs to omit 11)

Thanks in advance

Tags (1)
0 Karma

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can tweak acceptable parameters based on standard deviation or other stats. The below search will calculate the standard deviation of a and the existing average of a. Next we will make a null IF the value of a + standard deviation is greater than the average of a + standard deviation. Finally we filter out null values and return the average of what remains...

... | eventstats stdev(a) as stdev_a avg(a) as avg_a | eval a=if(a+stdev_a < avg_a+stdev_a, a, null()) | where isnotnull(a) | stats avg(a)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...