Installation

Splunk upgrade sequence for 7.0.1

rajupats91

We have distributed environment which has license server, deployment server, deployer server, clustered Indexers, clustered search heads and universal forwarders. All are running Splunk 6.5.2 and would like to upgrade to Splunk 7.0.1

I can see the sequence here https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.1/Installation/UpgradeyourdistributedSplunkEnterpri... for deployment, search heads and indexer but not for license and deployer server.

I am planning to do an upgrade in below sequence . is this ok?
License server > Deployment server > Deployer > Cluster Master > Search Heads > Indexers > Universal Forwarders

Please suggest compatibility of Splunk instances.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

rajupats91

Follow up questions....

We have a single license and deployment server for all customers And separate deployer server for each customer.
1. If we upgrade deployment server to 7.0.1 when we are upgrading the first customer then will that same deployment server(7.0.1) works for other customers which are on lower version 6.5.2?
2. What about Universal forwarders, Shall I have to stop all the forwarders when I am upgrading cluster master and indexers?

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Yes - Older deployment clients (UFs) are compatible with newer deployment servers.

Older UFs are also compatible with newer indexers/HFs:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.1/Forwarding/Compatibilitybetweenforwardersandindex...

(The inverse of both of these is not supported, although it works quite happily)

I have always started with indexers (or a master in a cluster) and dealt with search when the index is up to date.
The logic behind this is that older SHs will still work even if they are spitting warnings in the log, but the bulkof the work (excitement) is in the indexers. - If You have issues with your indexers you will almost certainly be rolling back everything - I like to find our early on in the process if thatch likely to be the outcome (it never has been). Next I do search, then DS/Lic and finally HF/UFs

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

The document you referred to is the official and authoritative document for this process. Considering that, I would consider the interaction with the deployment server and license master to be a non-issue in terms of the upgrade process.

Of course, as with any production environment, I strongly suggest testing your upgrade path prior to performing it in production. In this case it should be easy enough to test your specific version requirements regarding interaction with the deployment server and license master.

0 Karma

rajupats91

Follow up questions....

We have a single license and deployment server for all customers And separate deployer server for each customer.
1. If we upgrade deployment server to 7.0.1 when we are upgrading the first customer then will that same deployment server(7.0.1) works for other customers which are on lower version 6.5.2?
2. What about Universal forwarders, Shall I have to stop all the forwarders when I am upgrading cluster master and indexers?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...