Dashboards & Visualizations

Splunk - timestamp conversion for dashboard

dhanasekarjanak

Hi, I have a lookup table which has the list of email id's and the dates they logged into the application as below,

Username time
testuser1@gmail.com 03/31/2018
testuser2@gmail.com 03/30/2018

if I use the date range on the Splunk dashboard, the query is working without any issue, because it shows the timestamp on the query, but if I choose the present timeframe such as last 1 day, last 30 minutes, it is populating as now and -15m, I'm unable to convert the time format, Could anyone please help me to resolve the issue?

Query Format -
| eval mytime1=strftime($time.latest$,"%Y%m%d")
| eval mytime2=strftime($time.earliest$,"%Y%m%d")
| where mytime <= mytime1 and mytime >= mytime2

Present time frame-
| eval mytime1=strftime(now,"%Y%m%d")
| eval mytime2=strftime(-15m,"%Y%m%d")

Date range -
| eval mytime1=strftime(1516942800,"%Y%m%d")
| eval mytime2=strftime(1514782800,"%Y%m%d")

Thanks,
Dhana

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

elliotproebstel
Champion

When I have date stamps in my lookup files and want to filter results based on date, I don't use the time tokens, because there are so many variations and edge cases. Instead, I do this:

| addinfo
| where info_min_time<=whatever_start_date_time AND info_max_time>=whatever_end_time
| fields - info_*

The addinfo command will add four fields to every event - info_max_time (equivalent to the $latest$ token, but always in epoch format), info_min_time (equivalent to the $earliest$ token, but always in epoch format), info_search_time (when the search was run), and info_sid (a unique ID assigned to the search).

The line | fields - info_* is just to remove those fields after I've used them for comparisons.

View solution in original post

dhanasekarjanak

Thank you so much! it worked.

Dhana

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

When I have date stamps in my lookup files and want to filter results based on date, I don't use the time tokens, because there are so many variations and edge cases. Instead, I do this:

| addinfo
| where info_min_time<=whatever_start_date_time AND info_max_time>=whatever_end_time
| fields - info_*

The addinfo command will add four fields to every event - info_max_time (equivalent to the $latest$ token, but always in epoch format), info_min_time (equivalent to the $earliest$ token, but always in epoch format), info_search_time (when the search was run), and info_sid (a unique ID assigned to the search).

The line | fields - info_* is just to remove those fields after I've used them for comparisons.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...