Splunk Dev

Splunk standalone server upgrade

hariskhan
Explorer

Dear splunkers,
We have a standalone all in one splunk server installed in our environment. Currently it is running version 6.7 and we want to move to 7.3
Can anybody guide us the process for upgrade. I have gone through guides but they all talk about distributed environment upgrade. What are the things i must be worried about after upgrade or any prerequisite test that i need to do before i move for an upgrade?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ashmaind
Explorer

Yes, you can take a backup to be on safer side.To cover your dashboards, searches and all other knowledge objects, you can take backup of $SplunkHome/etc folder. In that also you can decide if you want to take backup of specific apps by copying its folder.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ashmaind
Explorer

Yes, you can take a backup to be on safer side.To cover your dashboards, searches and all other knowledge objects, you can take backup of $SplunkHome/etc folder. In that also you can decide if you want to take backup of specific apps by copying its folder.

0 Karma

hariskhan
Explorer

Thanks Ashmaind.

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion
0 Karma

ashmaind
Explorer

Hi,
Firstly you need to check if all the apps and add-ons are compatible with the version (here 7.3) you want to upgrade to.
Then the process to upgrade is just like you do for new installation. Splunk automatically detects that this is an upgrade.

Go through the detail documentation below:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.3/Installation/AboutupgradingREADTHISFIRST

Below are the steps to upgrade:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.3/Installation/HowtoupgradeSplunk

Hope this helps.

0 Karma

hariskhan
Explorer

Thanks for answering. How about dashboard and saved searches backup . How can i backup those before upgrade.Also the lookups backup ?. Which directories should i backup for saved searches , dashboards and lookups. Any configuration backups?.

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

you should always have a back up from your $SPLUNK_HOME incase anything goes wrong while updateing. Your dashboards and searches will be backup as well this way.

0 Karma

vishaltaneja070
Motivator
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...