Splunk Search

How to create a search to compare counts from 2 different query and trigger alert?

harishnpandey
Explorer

Hi,

I need help with building query which compares value from 2 different search and trigger alert if count from both the query is less than 1

For e.g.

index=query1| stats count as count1|appendcols [search index=query2 | stats count as count2 ]|eval final_count=if(matchcount1,count2),"0","1") | stats count AS final_count

Current alert condition as :

If number of results is less than 0 and schedule cron runs at every 5 mins

But my current query triggers alert even if count matches from both the query and it shows final_count value as 1 .. I am expecting alert to be triggers only if count does not matches between both queries and specially in case of counts from both queries result zero after compare.

Appreciate you help with correcting to reframe my logic and build query and trigger condition

Labels (1)
0 Karma

harishnpandey
Explorer

Splunk Query:

index=query1| stats count as count1|appendcols [search index=query2 | stats count as count2 ]|eval final_count=if(match (count1,count2),"0","1") | stats count AS final_count

0 Karma

gaurav_maniar
Builder

Hi,

You can try the following approach. It will provide you the event count difference between queries.
let me know if you require more details on this.

index=_internal OR index=_audit 
 | eval internal_count=if(index="_internal", 1, null()) 
 | eval audit_count=if(index="_audit", 1, null()) 
 | stats sum(internal_count) AS internal sum(audit_count) AS audit 
 | eval diff=internal-audit
0 Karma

Rob2520
Communicator

index=query1| stats count as c1|appendcols [search index=query2 | stats count as c2 ]|eval final_count=if(c1=c2,0,1)

If count matches your final_count value will be 0 and if not, final_count value will be 1. Save it as an alert and in trigger condition choose custom and type | search final_count=1. What this does is if your counts doesn't match you will get an alert. Is this what you are looking for?

harishnpandey
Explorer

So far It looks good .. once I get alerted for condition when count does not matches . It would be surely win win .

Appreciate your help on this.

0 Karma

Rob2520
Communicator

@harishnpandey if my answers helps please accept/vote so someone else can benefit from it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...