Splunk Search

How to create a search to check which user disabled/enabled alert?

AnmolKohli
Explorer

Splunk query to check which user disabled/enabled alert.

Labels (1)

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

See what is in the logs like this:

index=_audit "disabled alert name here"

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

not sure @woodcock if the new version updated the audit log formats/my old 7.3 does not have yet your search query format,.. but i created a test alert and disabled and queried the audit index, but no match. something fishy.

0 Karma

AnmolKohli
Explorer

We have a report built in splunk that runs whenever any alert is disabled by a user in splunk. I want to find the user who has disabled the alert.Is this doable?

cmeisch
Path Finder

Has this been answered... I am looking for the same thing as to WHO has done what?

0 Karma

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @cmeisch 

you can with following query 

index="_internal" sourcetype="splunkd_ui_access" file IN (disable,enable) 

i tried enable/disbale one of saved  it , enable disable logs are showing with username who did that action

SanjayReddy_0-1646753164131.png

cmeisch
Path Finder

Thanks for the response.  What I am trying to do is to see when a rule has been enabled\disabled and by who.  I Your suggestion will give me who has disabled\enabled but I am trying to figure out what was enabled\disabled... BUT I am closer thanks to you!

0 Karma

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @cmeisch 

index="_internal" sourcetype="splunkd_ui_access" file IN (disable,enable)
| table _time user uri file

I am not good at regex😁, but hightlited  the savedsearch name on which action done , 
after searches/ word is the report/alert name followed by action 

SanjayReddy_0-1646754361992.png

---
If this reply helps you, an upvote/Karma would be appreciated.

0 Karma

not_for_sale_b

Oh my god finally, someone found it.  Here is a revised query that works a little better and shows the "files" (searches) enabled by a particular user and decodes them to make them easier to read.  

index="_internal" sourcetype=splunkd_ui_access method=POST
| eval file=urldecode(file)
| stats values(file) by user

0 Karma

ccl0utier
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Care to elaborate?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...