Splunk Enterprise

Splunk on a clustered file system

maverick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What types of clustered file systems does Splunk support?

Or, more importantly, are there any types that Splunk does NOT support?

1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I assume you mean supported for the purpose of storing buckets.

According to the official docs, with the possible exception of Veritas VXFS no cluster filesystem is documented as supported. (The docs are not clear if VXFS is supported in cluster mode or not).

For any cluster filesystem to work, it would obviously have to pass locktest. Most claim to support "POSIX" locking semantics, so they could have a good chance of success here.

Even if supported, however, I would be concerned about performance due to the need for cluster filesystems to frequently contact a metadata controller when certain filesystem operations occur.

View solution in original post

BHGalyean
Engager

The only 2 POSIX file-locking clustered file systems worth considering are GFS2 and OCFS2. But be aware you will probably need to dedicate one core for locking overhead, since all it does is eat and serve data, as it is still a very CPU intensive task. Probably a better idea to use a script with keepalived on the secondary node pointing at the primary node, to fail over to an identically configured Splunk instance on the secondary node. Wont get load balancing between two active pair, but not eat a core just to do it in a cluster either.

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I assume you mean supported for the purpose of storing buckets.

According to the official docs, with the possible exception of Veritas VXFS no cluster filesystem is documented as supported. (The docs are not clear if VXFS is supported in cluster mode or not).

For any cluster filesystem to work, it would obviously have to pass locktest. Most claim to support "POSIX" locking semantics, so they could have a good chance of success here.

Even if supported, however, I would be concerned about performance due to the need for cluster filesystems to frequently contact a metadata controller when certain filesystem operations occur.

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

VxFS is has been in production use by some customers (I wasn't involved, they may still be.)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...