Security

Splunk for Cisco Firewalls and Flat-files

sbusby

I have all syslog from switches, routers, ASAs and FWSMs received via UDP/514 being written to a flat file and rotated daily. Today Splunk is indexing this data, but I was interested in seeing what the additional Cisco Security Apps could show me.

When I installed the applications it appears to want to listen in on a new UDP or TCP port, how can specify this application use the existing flat-file?

0 Karma

kenth
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You could force the sourcetype "cisco_asa" on your flatfile index easily enough by either doing it in the apps props.conf or just set it when you add your file to be indexed. If you do that those logs should be included in what the app does.

0 Karma

sbusby

Since the flat file includes syslog from routers, switches, ASAs, FWSMs, etc wouldn't this classify ALL traffic as cisco_asa?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...