Splunk Search

Splunk extraction of fields for email texts

tan_junyuan
Engager

I have the infra as shown below:
Splunk Log Forwarder-> Splunk Indexer

The Log forwarder defines which data goes into which index, which is configured at Log Forwarder, Data Input -> Files/Directories.
The data(email text file) goes into the directory , then the forwarder forwards to the correct index.
Note: Email texts do not conform to any Common Information Model, when it goes into splunk indexer, it will be just text.

At the Log forwarder, there is a list of props.conf and transforms.conf to tell it how to look for regexp and extract the fields .
However, if new content and regexp changes, it will not be able to detect it.

Is there any intelligent way to know what fields to extract the fields(if the lines have this format xxxx followed by semi colon)
eg. Sent: Feb 19 2019 10:00 -> reported_time(field): Feb 19 2019 10:00
Reported issue: issue1-> reported_issue(field): issue1
user:xxx -> affected_user(field): user

Is this the correct way to extract the fields at the log forwarder?
Or it could be done at the Indexer, so that if the regexp changes, I just need to update, and the fields will be re-extracted accordingly.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

vinod94
Contributor

Hi @tan_junyuan ,

You need to do it at the indexer level, i mean in the indexer.You should not make any changes in forwarder (not a good practice).

This doc might help you!

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.4/Knowledge/Exampleconfigurationswithprops.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...