Splunk Dev

Splunk Web Image upload Error(8.0.1)

openpath_llc
Explorer

Hi All,

When attempting to upload a custom background image on 8.0.1. It fails and gives and internal server error(seen from web-developer tools(safari)...

I uninstalled that version and went to 7.3.3 and it works fine. I wasn't sure if this is a bug or something already reported. I've attached the images from the error I got.alt text

alt text

1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@openpath_llc this seems to be a bug in Splunk 8.x where /api/manager/uploadbgimg REST API call is not working. Hence background image is not getting uploaded.

You can do this from the back-end by editing the web.conf in the system/local folder: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/AdvancedDev/CustomizeLogin#Customize_the_login_p...

[settings]
loginBackgroundImageOption = custom
loginCustomBackgroundImage = search:logincustombg/<yourImageFile>.<yourImageFileType>

And manually upload the background image to the following path:
$SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\search\appserver\static\logincustombg\<yourImageFile>.<yourImageFileType>

PS: Do Splunk Restart/Refresh and browser cache cleanup for the changes to take effect.

Another workaround if you are already on Splunk 7.3.x then you can update the image from UI and then upgrade to Splunk 8.x but using back-end to update the background image is a better approach.

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@openpath_llc this seems to be a bug in Splunk 8.x where /api/manager/uploadbgimg REST API call is not working. Hence background image is not getting uploaded.

You can do this from the back-end by editing the web.conf in the system/local folder: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/AdvancedDev/CustomizeLogin#Customize_the_login_p...

[settings]
loginBackgroundImageOption = custom
loginCustomBackgroundImage = search:logincustombg/<yourImageFile>.<yourImageFileType>

And manually upload the background image to the following path:
$SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\search\appserver\static\logincustombg\<yourImageFile>.<yourImageFileType>

PS: Do Splunk Restart/Refresh and browser cache cleanup for the changes to take effect.

Another workaround if you are already on Splunk 7.3.x then you can update the image from UI and then upgrade to Splunk 8.x but using back-end to update the background image is a better approach.

JasonCMurray
Engager

Thanks - this is exactly what I needed to post new starting page graphic that include the required corporate consent notification.

0 Karma

openpath_llc
Explorer

Thanks @niketnilay. I am aware of this, I just figured I would bring it up since I didn't see it in the known issues. Cheers.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We need more details. The internal server error should be corroborated by some logs on the backend.

Could be anything from disk space to permissions to who knows what.

We'd need many more details to determine if this is a bug or not.

0 Karma

openpath_llc
Explorer

I am going to try to replicate the error again shortly.

This is what I did before.

Spun up new ec2 instance
Install Splunk 8.0.1
Attempted to change login_background via GUI(fail)
fail message----internal server error---
Stop Splunk and install older Splunk version(7.3.3) on same server
Attempt to change login_background via GUI(success) on same server

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try running this search to find the 500 errors in the access logs. If found, zoom to the time when they did occur and remove the sourcetype=splunk*access and add log_level=warn* OR log_level=error. You should be able to find the culprit like that.

index=_internal sourcetype=splunk*access status=500

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried a different browser?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...