Deployment Architecture

Splunk Universal forwarder

donypie

Hi all,

I would like for security reason use the Splunk Universal forwarder on RHEL servers. But, I have to send logs to two Splunk indexers. Can you please tell me if it is possible with Splunk Universal forwarder ? It is well possible with standard syslog.

Do you usually use Splunk Universal forwarder or standard syslog to forward logs to Splunk indexers ?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

todd_miller
Communicator

This should be possible and I'll give you two scenarios (this is done in your outputs.conf file):

Load balancing an indexer pair:

[tcpout]
    defaultGroup = primary_indexers

forceTimebasedAutoLB = true

[tcpout:primary_indexers]
    server = server_1_ip_or_hostname:9997, server_2_ip_or_hostname:9997

Two separate destinations:

[tcpout]
    defaultGroup = primary_indexer,secondary_indexer

[tcpout:primary_indexer]
    server = server_1_ip_or_hostname:9997

[tcpout:secondary_indexer]
    server = server_2_ip_or_hostname:9997

If you use option two, you're going to essentially use double your indexing license because you're sending a copy of the data to another separate server.

If you want to send to syslog, take a look at the following link to help you with that:

link text

donypie

Thanks Todd

0 Karma

todd_miller
Communicator

Sure thing!

0 Karma

todd_miller
Communicator
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...