Splunk Search

Splunk Search: Lateral Movement

johann2017
Explorer

Hello! I am wanting to build a search that can help detect lateral movement. I want to see when the same user is logging into multiple machines in a specific period of time. For example, an admin account gets compromised. That same admin account was then used to log into 50 different computers in the course of an hour. How would I run a search similar to something like that?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sduff_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Something like the following would count the number of unique hostnames ( dc = distinct count) that the Admin has logged into.

index=wineventlog Logon user=Administrator earliest=-65m@m | stats dc(hostname), values(hostname)

You may also want to look at the Security Essentials app, https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3435/ , which hassome examples of such searches and use-cases.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...