Splunk Enterprise

Splunk Not Starting - Cant Log in

lucoot

Windows 7 64Bit

Splunk ran after first installating. After reset, I am unable to start it.
When I run "Splunk.exe" command prompt opens for a flash and mentions "access to RegCreatKeyEx denied".
No splunk services are running at all after executing.
When I attempt to log in it states "invalid username and password"

Here is the splunkd.log
05-29-2014 13:49:02.066 -0700 ERROR AuthenticationManagerSplunk - Login failed. Incorrect Login for user: admin
05-29-2014 13:56:45.463 -0700 ERROR UserManagerPro - Login failed for unknown user="lucoot""

Tags (1)
0 Karma

adilsonbna

I've got the same issue. It not admin password from Splunk server. Login admin and password is default by client one.

I just used command
./splunk add forward-server :9997

Splunk username: admin
Password: changeme
Added forwarding to: xx.xx.xx.xxx:9997.

It works!

0 Karma

lucoot

I am using it through the browser, that is how I am typing in my password and username. Which do not work.
The service is running, I was mistakenly looking at running applications.

Thanks

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

This is not how you start Splunk. On Windows, Splunk runs as a service. Go to the Services panel and start Splunk from there.

To login to Splunk, you must use a web browser. In Firefox or IE, for example, you could do this:

http://hostname:8000

where hostname is the domain name of the machine where you installed Splunk. The default user name is admin and the initial password is changeme.

There will not be a user named lucoot unless you created a user by that name. If you are unsure, go to the directory where you installed Splunk (call it splunk_home) and then go to the etc subdirectory and look at the file called passwd

type splunk_home\etc\passwd

You won't be able to see the passwords, since they are encrypted, but at least you will be able to see what users exist.
If you have forgotten the password, you can reset it following the directions here: How could I reset the Admin password?

0 Karma

lucoot

I am using it through the browser, that is how I am typing in my password and username. Which do not work. Sorry, the service is running, I was mistakenly looking at running applications.

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...