Getting Data In

Splunk DB Connect 1: Why am I getting "The Java Bridge server is not running" after upgrading Splunk to a newer version?

abovebeyond
Communicator

Hello,

After upgrading Splunk to a newer version, the Splunk DB Connect 1 isn't work for me and I'm getting the erro :

The Java Bridge server is not running 

I tried to search here for a solution with no success.

Thanks 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

abovebeyond
Communicator

upgrade to Java8 solved the problem

View solution in original post

abovebeyond
Communicator

upgrade to Java8 solved the problem

abovebeyond
Communicator

problem again:

• Java Bridge in running

• while trying to add a database input i got the error:

Encountered the following error while trying to save: Splunkd daemon is not responding: ('Error connecting to /servicesNS/admin/dbx/dbx/databases: The read operation timed out',)

Thanks

0 Karma

lloydd518
Path Finder

What platform or OS are you running Splunk on? What version of Java JRE are you running? What exact version of DB connect are you running?

Please note Splunk DB Connect requirements extracted from https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/958/

DB Connect 1.2.0 or higher is not compatible with Java 6 or 7. Use Java 8 instead.
DB Connect 1.1.7 or lower is not compatible with Java 8. Use Java 6 or 7 instead.
*DB Connect 1.1.4 or lower is not Splunk 6.2 compatible. DB Connect 1.1.5 or higher should be used with Splunk 6.2. *

lloydd518
Path Finder

I am assuming you are using If you are using a Redhat, CentOS, Fedora distro which can use yum...
The Splunk documentation states to use Oracles http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/8u60-b27/jdk-8u60-linux-x64.rpm. OpenJDK packages may cause unknown issues. See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/1.2.0/DeployDBX/Deploymentrequirements

For OpenJDK use

yum list installed "java"

This will list what java version is installed on your machine

use

yum search openjdk or yum search java-1.8.0

This will display whether java 8 is available in your repositories.

You can also use

yum deplist java-1.8.0-openjdk.x86_64 to list all the dependancies of that package... which will probably also need installing but which will / should be installed automatically if you use yum.

Or if you download the oracle package. And place the oracle download onto your Linux machine. Then as a priviledged user (sudo or root), use

rpm -i /folder_you_placed_the_rpm_on/jdk-8u60-linux-x64.rpm

0 Karma

abovebeyond
Communicator

hey , im using 1.2 version , linux OS

what is the way to install Java 8 ?

thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...