All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Azure: Is Azure blob storage or table storage better for logging and indexing to Splunk?

arunkabrahamdnb

Is Azure blob storage or table storage better for logging and indexing to Splunk?
I will be using the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Azure to index the logs.
What about performance and Scalability?

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Any additional details needed here or are you willing to accept my answer? @arunkabrahamdnb

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

From performance and scalability, do keep in mind that table & blob storage retrieval is conducted via API calls.

If you're pulling BIG DATA every minute from 1000's of blobs/tables, you might find that performance will be impacted. You'll need to architect a solution that uses dedicated machines for pulling the data, etc.

Networking speeds will come into consideration at scale, as will the TCP port limit of 2^16-1 or 65535.

As for which is better, I've experienced the similar results with both and found that some Azure services may require one or the other.

Blob is good for unstructured data such as photos, documents, videos, backups, and varying format logs, etc. Blob is typically recommended for "big data".

Table storage is more "SQL-Like" and is typically better for structured data, and can also be more performant if developed corrected.

I recommend reading this primer: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-introduction

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...