All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk 7.0.0 App Icon not appearing

sochsenbein
Communicator

Hello,

Using Splunk 7.0.0, I created an app called Engineering, and placed the appIcon.png (32x32) and appIcon_2x.png (72x72) in the Engineering/static folder, however, the icons are still not appearing. Been searching the forums and online, but not seeing anything that has helped. Any updated ideas on this?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

msivill_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In addition to restarting Splunk, flush your browser cache or try from a different browser.

0 Karma

amiftah
Communicator

@sochsenbein,

I had that problem too, what I did, I just deleted all the images in static folder, I pasted again new ones, restarted splunk, and everything works, please try this and let me know if it works..

0 Karma

ejmin
Path Finder

I've done what you did but the output was the same, I cant change the icon

0 Karma

sochsenbein
Communicator

@amiftah They started working a couple of months ago. Which was several months after I put the images in the static folder in the first place. No idea what finally triggered it. I had restarted splunk multiple times in between then, and then it all of a sudden appeared on the search heads' page. And then I restarted the Deployment Server and it showed up on there, as well. Wonky.

0 Karma

amiftah
Communicator

Can you mark your question as solved ^^

0 Karma

amiftah
Communicator

Can you check again this link: http://dev.splunk.com/view/webframework-developapps/SP-CAAAE86
See if you haven't missed any step?

Thanks,

0 Karma

ejmin
Path Finder

The icon appeared when I tried it in a localhost and put the icon outside the static folder then made changes in app.conf in your sent link. I dont know why it works but the important is the icon is appearing..

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Silly question, but I had a similar issue when I upgraded to 7.1.x, and found the issue disappeared after restarting the Splunk server.

Have you tried a restart? I had to change the icon names on my app for 7.1 and they would not appear without a restart (even though they were in the static directory)

0 Karma

sochsenbein
Communicator

@garethatiag I have not yet, the guy who had been in charge of our Splunk environment beforehand did not want me to do that, however, I think that is the solution for this.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Def start with restart. Seems like you've put in a lot of extra work here given that I thought restart was an obligation of those taking effect. I could be wrong...

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

This might be a bit of a shot in the dark, but when you added the files to the static folder, did you increment the number of the build attribute, in the install stanza of your Engineering app.conf ?

Reference: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/admin/appconf

(Related did you try cleaning your browser's cache and/or tried a different browser?)

0 Karma

sochsenbein
Communicator

@acharlieh I hadn't changed the build number, but I just changed it from 1.0 to 1.1. I had also cleared my browsing history (Chrome), closed it completely, reopened and even tried it on IE, but it is still showing the default icons.

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

Possibly not it, but in app.conf:
The [launcher] version attribute takes a version number like 1.0 / 1.1
[install] build should be just a single integer like 1 / 2 / 3

0 Karma

sochsenbein
Communicator

Ah, I see, sorry. [install] didn't have a build under it, so I added "build = 1", cleared history and relogged in, but no luck yet.

0 Karma

sochsenbein
Communicator

I tried redeploying the app to no avail. I do not have admin privileges to refresh the static cache and cannot restart the app, either. Any other ideas?

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@sochsenbein can you verify if you type the following URL in your browser, the icon shows up?

<yourSplunkURL>/en-US/splunkd/__raw/servicesNS/admin/Engineering/static/appIcon.png

The folder name is Engineering with upper case E or not?

Have you done a refresh/bump or restart of Splunk after uploading the Static Icon file? Also try clearing Browser history as well.

sochsenbein
Communicator

@niketnilay checking that link, it actually displays the default app icon. I FTP'd the images back from the server to my pc to confirm that the appIcon.png and appIcon_2x.png files in the static directory are the custom ones that I made and placed in there. Yes, it is with a capital E for Engineering, as well. I have not rebooted the splunk server, but I did clear the history before logging back in and it still is showing the default.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

The URL shows what Splunk is picking up...if it is picking up default/old icon at least refresh or bump might be required. Check with your admin.

niketn
Legend

I think refresh or bump might be required. Check with your admin.

sochsenbein
Communicator

Should I also mention that it's in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Engineering/static directory

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...