Specifying the path to Splunk for splunkdj

dmcguerty
Explorer

On page:
http://dev.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAEN2
(Create the musicdashboard app)
you're asked to enter:
splunkdj createapp musicdashboard

(and it says You'll need to provide your Splunk credentials to create the app.)
it prompts you:
Where is splunk installed?

It doesn't explain how you'll even need to answer this. What path? What format? Absolute from C:/?

It doesn't explain how to enter the answer. Is it asking for the full path to splunk.exe?
Doesn't work. Relative path: doesn't work. Fwd slashes, back slashes?...

I'm at a total loss on how to answer the prompt and I'm sure other people that don't work at Splunk are confused, too.

Please, enhance the documentation to be more complete and accurate. This applies to most of the other pages I've read in the splunk documentation.

It will cut the number of questions on this site in HALF.

Think about it.

Happy holidays.
Dave

1 Solution

sciurus
Path Finder

At a guess, it wants the path to "Splunk" as an application, not splunk.exe as a binary, so /opt/splunk/, or c:\program files\splunk.

It's likely that the app is expecting SPLUNK_HOME to be set, so you could try running this (Windows):

C:\>set SPLUNK_HOME=c:\Program Files\Splunk

or on unix, setSplunkEnv will setup all variables:

root@server:~# . /opt/splunk/bin/setSplunkEnv

View solution in original post

sciurus
Path Finder

At a guess, it wants the path to "Splunk" as an application, not splunk.exe as a binary, so /opt/splunk/, or c:\program files\splunk.

It's likely that the app is expecting SPLUNK_HOME to be set, so you could try running this (Windows):

C:\>set SPLUNK_HOME=c:\Program Files\Splunk

or on unix, setSplunkEnv will setup all variables:

root@server:~# . /opt/splunk/bin/setSplunkEnv

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...